It’s Bee Season—Get Study Guides, Swag, and More
Back to school means it’s time to start preparing for the 2018 National Geographic Bee! This annual geography competition for students in grades four through eight first got its start in 1989 in response to concerns about the lack of geographic knowledge among young people in the U.S.
Today, some 10,000 schools across the country participate in the Bee each year. And in May 2018, the winner of the 20th National Geographic Bee will receive a $50,000 college scholarship, a lifetime membership in the National Geographic Society, and an all-expenses paid expedition to Alaska. Register your school and get more information here.
Shop for Bee Study Guides and Gear
Get a leg up on the competition with these National Geographic Bee study guides, and show your Bee spirit with some fun swag. (Shop the entire Bee Shop here.)
- How to Ace the National Geographic Bee
- National Geographic Bee Ultimate Fact Book: Countries A to Z
- National Geographic Bee Hat
- National Geographic Bee Water Bottle
- National Geographic Bee Backpack
- Through January 26, 2018: Registration is open
- October 2, 2017, through February 2, 2018: School bees take place
- April 6, 2018: State bees take place
- May 20-23, 2018: National championship in Washington, D.C.
- Check out the Study Corner. What’s the best way to prepare your students for the Bee? Here are some activities and lessons from National Geographic Education that can help your students learn more about topic areas that frequently appear in Bee questions.
- Download the Geo Bee Challenge app. Quiz yourself with Bee questions in this fun app for iOS and Android
- Get lesson plans and study resources prepared by National Geographic.
More About the Bee
- Meet the 2017 Geo Bee Contestants
- Video: Highlights From the National Geographic Bee
- Do You Know More Geography Than a Fifth-Grader?
- 12-Year-Old Wins Geographic Bee in Nail-Biter—How Would You Do?
- Video: Best Bee Moments With Host Alex Trebek
- Video: Winning Moments From the Bee
How would you do in the Bee? Here are some questions from past competitions to get yourself into the zone. Good luck—the answers are below!
- On which Japanese island, located south of Sakhalin Island, can you find the city of Sapporo?
- What landlocked country, home to the great bend of the Niger River, is one of Africa’s leading cotton exporters?
- Which Russian exclave was formerly a part of Germany?
- The city of Poços de Caldas, located in the state of Minas Gerais, is noted for its health resorts. Name the country where this city is located.
- Panaji, known for its Portuguese architecture, is the capital of an Indian state located on the Arabian Sea. Name this state, India’s smallest in area.
- Which Australian territorial capital city, destroyed by a cyclone in 1974, is a starting point for travelers on their way to Kakadu National Park?
- The Elbe River, which flows generally northwest through Germany to the North Sea, has its headwaters in the Krkonoše Mountains. These mountains are located on the border between Poland and which other country?
- J. van Blommestein Meer is a large reservoir on a South American river that shares its name with the country where it is located. Name this country, where Dutch is the official language.
- The Mano River forms part of the border between Liberia and which country to its northwest?
- The Nicobar Islands, an island group located northwest of Indonesia and west of the Malay Peninsula, belong to which country?
- Saaremaa Island, located between the Baltic Sea and the Gulf of Riga, is the largest island in which country?
- Freed American slaves began to settle on the Grain Coast of Africa in 1822, establishing settlements that led to the creation of what country in 1847?
- Which country in the Persian Gulf is an archipelago made up of more than 30 low-lying desert islands?
- Cape San Antonio, located southwest of the city of Pinar del Río, is the westernmost point of which Caribbean island?
- The Ustyurt Plateau, which lies between the Caspian and Aral Seas, is located primarily in Kazakhstan and what other central Asian country?
- Czech Republic
- Sierra Leone