About Our Mission
With Your Help, Inspiring People to Care About the Planet
Your purchases in the National Geographic Online Store help to fund our mission programs, below. They also help indigenous artisans become economically stable while preserving their cultural heritage.
To go behind the scenes with our buyers, and to learn more about how your purchases support our mission, visit the National Geographic Online Store Blog
We partner with artisans who live in economically and politically unstable areas of the world to develop products specifically for our customers. Our partnerships provide stable income to artisans who often face: natural disasters that cut off supplies and transportation routes; illness and death from the AIDS epidemic; and political turbulence that halts production. Although it is an unpredictable and much slower production process, the positive impact of our business in these areas has been affirmed by various international trade organizations, non-governmental organizations and the artisans themselves.
Exploration and Research
- projects, videos, articles, and findings that change our future
- follow our Explorers in Residenceanthropologists, archaeologists, oceanographers, conservationists and moreat work
- lesson plans, activities, atlas maps, and an online community
- test your knowledge of geography, the natural environment, and wildlife with daily quizzes and games that let you race against the clock!
National Geographic Bee
- nationwide competition for grades 4-8
- feature stories on wildlife, National Parks, history, and the environment
Travel & Cultures
- trip planning advice, travel photos, geotourism tips, and a travel blog
- home, garden, personal care, kids, travel, food
- submit comments, share your photos, read blogs by the experts
Exhibitions and events
- in Washington, DC and other locations around the country
- see National Geographic illustrations come to life, take an interactive quiz or an online tour of the world's most intriguing locales
- navigate 3D perspectives of land and cities, race to put together Atlas jigsaw puzzles, and page through our online Atlas
Make a Donation
- support worldwide scientific research, exploration, and geography education
National Geographic's magazines
bring you all of this content in vivid color, straight to your door. In addition to the original magazine, order kids' magazines, National Geographic Traveler, or National Geographic Adventure. With your subscription, you automatically become a member. Subscribe today!